Ian left this morning for a job interview. He boarded his plane at 7am only to be told that the flight was delayed because of thick fog. Unfortunately, this means he missed his connecting flight in Dallas, TX and will not get to his destination until the evening, a full six hours after he was scheduled to arrive. So he will not get to tour a beautiful city that we've heard so much about. And he will have to put the final touches on his research presentation at the airport and hope that there is decent food available for him (we have major dietary restrictions). But, when all is said and done, he will have gotten the opportunity to present his work at one of the top programs in the world. And that is pretty amazing. And I'm really proud of him. And then next week he gets to do it all again at another campus. Although I'm really hoping no weather delays next time.
So, everyone, please do me a favor, do NOT jinx anything. Do not tempt fate by saying "Oh, I'm sure you'll do fine" "I'm sure you'll get this job" "The weather will be fine - no airport delays" "airport food has really improved and I'm sure you'll not get e.coli" or whatever. We've worked too hard to get him to this phase. I believe in the awesome power of the jinx. I prepare for the worst. So please, I beg you, wish him well, keep those fingers crossed, but nothing else needs to be said. Got it?
Yes. I'm stressed. I don't want to go through yet another job market season and that thought is a constant presence in our minds. It is exhausting. And soul crushing. I know that when he does get a wonderful job we'll have different stresses to deal with: selling our home; the grueling pressures of a tenure track assistant professor position; possible geographical extremes; my own job search; and maintaining our family. I'm ready for these challenges. Bring them on. Just respect the jinx.
1 comment:
I totally respect a jinx. I always prepare for the worst, much to husbands annoyance. Just this morning I said "this is going to be a long week" and Don said "that's the spirit".
Post a Comment