Sunday, December 14, 2008

Happy 7/12 birthday! one day late



Yesterday was so busy that I forgot to post and celebrate her 7 months of life. My apologies. We put up our Christmas tree yesterday and she really enjoys the pretty colors. I took her downstairs this morning and lit the tree. Her jaw dropped in amazement and she started hooting. Pretty cute. She keeps reaching out to grab the branches and lights, so I'm kind of relieved that we purchased a fake tree last year. Thankfully the horrid smell of flame retardants dissipated after a year in storage. Of course, I no longer have the "super sniffer" of pregnancy. Woohoo!

Today we will try and adorn the tree with our vast collection of ornaments. One of the best things about this tradition is unwrapping the ornaments from my childhood. I hope Adelaide will enjoy this.

I think Ian's favorite part about this time of year (aside from the end of the semester) is sampling all the treats I make for parties. Last night I made rum balls (thanks for that recipe, Becky and Laura!) but he was good and only ate one. Adelaide ate like 40 - just kidding. Today I will make Nana's Apple Cake and onion tarts for my department party tomorrow. And wonderful friends Cory and Peter are coming over to watch the Steelers beat up on the Ravens. Cory has also volunteered to sample/taste test my dishes. A wonderful Sunday is planned...and a few loads of laundry may get done, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 7/12 birthday,Adelaide!!!!
You sure are a cutie!!!!
I can't wait to see you again.
I love and miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Adelaide,
Happy 7 month birthday! You just get sweeter and cuter with every passing day! See you SOON!!!
Lots of love from Grandmama Hill

Anonymous said...

you know, Laura's 'recipe' for rum balls is actually my recipe remade with what she had in her cabinet... I remember this: "I don't have vanilla wafers, but I have graham crackers. I don't have Karo syrup, but I have honey. I don't have bourbon, so I'll use rum." Nothing against the method, especially if it turns out well (and she has good cooking instincts so it does) - I just am always entertained by it.

KBH said...

The rum balls are a hit - my co-workers are demanding more of them. If it wasn't for the croup I would have made 3 more batches this weekend. That recipe is great. So thanks for sharing it with Laura who shared it with me, and I've shared it with many more in Illinois. Better than fruit cake for sure. I'll be sure to give you props in the future.